etd's and ears

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Feb 14 10:43:02 MST 2007

Hi David

I answer the final question you pose.  Me thinks you are a one hundred %
bonified class act ! No doubts about it.

Cheers
RicB

David Andersen writes:

     > "But, today's ETDs will definitely give a more than acceptable
     > tuning. So, nearly everyone will be happy."

    Except the tuner, who's trying to see himself/herself as an artisan,
    a craftsperson, and knows that he/she just phoned it in.

    If you died today, how does this sound?

    "He was a tuner that did more than acceptable tunings, and gave 70 or
    80% all the time."

    Now:  I've heard beautiful, soaring tunings by strictly aural tuners,
    and by tuners who were using an ETD as a helpful tool. The tunings
    I've heard that were strictly by looking at the wheel or the dial or
    whatever---to me---suck. Average. Brittle-sounding. If average is
    where you want to be, by all means coast through your four or five
    tunings a day, make your 100 grand a year, but don't call yourself an
    artisan. An artisan is passionate, engaged, and doing his/her best
    when working.

    To them, it's not a job; it's a love and a calling. And I know so
    many fantastic artisans in this work; I was just with a lot of them
    at the California PTG Convention, and it's an honor to be with
    artisans and revel in their dedication. It's FUN to give something
    your all.

    I think a lot of people use ETDs because they're not confident in
    their ears' ability to get the job done.  This is just speculation,
    but I think there's some truth there.

    Whattaya think?

    Best,

    David Andersen