etd's and ears

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Feb 16 00:24:05 MST 2007

Hi Allen

Hey, grin... what can I say ?  I use Tunelab all the time myself.  But
then I use it a bit differently then most folks use an ETD.  I think an
ETD's have several very valuable aspects and I really rather think they
should be in everyones tool box at this point.  But they do have their
pitfalls. What doesnt when you think about it ?  The old Chinese Ying
and Yang applies everywhere yes ?

I'll also be in the front ranks of those who simply sneer at the use of
an ETD without further ado... so I'll line right up with you there
shoulder to shoulder if someone comes from that camp.

Its kinda sad we get all into the confrontational bit of this ETD / Ear
tuning discussion when ever it comes up. Because there are in reality
some interesting and valuable perspectives it would do us all good to
keep ourselves refreshed on / reminded about / rethink from time to
time.  And I think it would be good for newbies coming up to see the
more disspassionate sides of what could be a thought provoking and
helpful exchange of ideas between old hands and themselves.

As far as David Andersen is concerned.  I just know the guy well enough
to know he has one of the friendly spirits around.  He was kind enough
to remind me a few years back of the rewards of being less
confrontational in discussions on the list.  And his record here and out
in the world of pianos speaks for itself and speaks very highly IMHO.

Cheers Allen

RicB

    Fair enough, Rick - I should have read David's post more carefully.
    Still, it seems that often the onus of proof seems to be on people
    who use ETD's. As one who tuned for 18 years strictly aurally, and
    now 9 years using Reyburn Cybertuner along with my ears (hybrid
    tuning), that's just hard for me to relate to. I suppose I've
    encountered too many tuners who've never even tried ETD's, yet feel
    they can pronounce blanket negative judgements on the use of them.
    That's where I'm coming from...

    Respectfully,

    Allen