Velum Source - Old European Square Piano

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Feb 14 13:26:37 MST 2007

Hey there Jurgen

I suppose you know that certain types of drum heads are for all
practical purposes (at least in this regard) the same.  I know fellows
over here that actually prefer it. I generally keep any of this stuff
that gets thrown out here at the university and use it as needed.

Cheers
RicB

    In the past I have I stocked velum for vintage pianos.  One common
    use is
    in the back action of Blüthner grands, built later than one might
    expect.  I don't know how late this technique was used, but certainly
    to 1910, and perhaps later.

    I am out of the extra thin velum needed for this purpose and I am
    looking for a new source.  Thicker velum  of 0.4 or 0.7 mm (.010 -
    .030") is fairly common for harpsichord soundboard rosettes, but it is
    too stiff for use in action parts.

    I hope to have the proper velum for action parts available later in the
    spring.

    Jurgen Goering
    Piano Forte Supply