Velum Source - Old European Square Piano

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Feb 14 17:53:27 MST 2007

At 10:06 am -0800 14/2/07, Jurgen Goering wrote:

>n the past I haveI stocked velum for vintage pianos.  One common use
>is in the back action of Blüthner grands, built later than one might
>expect.  I don't know how late this technique was used, but
>certainly to 1910, and perhaps later.
>
>I am out of the extra thin velum needed for this purpose and I am
>looking for a new source.  Thicker velum  of 0.4 or 0.7 mm (.010 -
>.030") is fairly common for harpsichord soundboard rosettes, but it
>is too stiff for use in action parts.

Baumgärtel supply it in 0.3mm and 0.7mm.  They advertise the 0.7 for
Blüthner damper bodies and I haven't got one accessible at the moment
but I think the 0.3 would be the proper thickness for this and is
what I used on the last set I did last year.

I have also located a supplier on eBay for morocco-type leather, very
reasonably priced, used for the wing-type hinge on Kirkman (as below)
dampers etc.  Let me know if your interested and I'll look up the id.

JD