etd's and ears

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Feb 15 15:32:06 MST 2007

Allen and others who jumped all over Davids post.

I respectfully would ask that you look closer at what David actually
said.  No where did he imply anything close to the idea that an artistic
tuning effort was not possible without an ears only approach. In fact...
what he did say was two things  ... the first being... and I quote

    "Now:  I've heard beautiful, soaring tunings by strictly aural
    tuners, and by tuners who were using an ETD as a helpful tool."

That seems pretty clear to me... rather the exact opposite of what he
has been accused of twice now. He THEN goes ON to say... and I once
again quote

    "The tunings I've heard that were strictly by looking at the wheel
    or  the dial or whatever---to me---suck. Average. Brittle-sounding."

Which also is pretty clear, and fairly (as in fair play) qualified by
the condition "the ones he's heard".  I have to admit I also have yet to
hear what I would call a very fine tuning artistic or otherwise done by
someone, anyone who has no use of their ears whatsoever.  I dont think I
would use the termage "they suck"... but hey thats more a matter of
semantics then anything else.  Perhaps a bit over emphasized.

He finishes off with a perfectly fair observation which is in my book
just as ridiculous to attempt to deny as it is to try and say there are
ear tuners out there that dont give a hoot about their job either.  One
more direct quote

    "I think a lot of people use ETDs because they're not confident in
    their ears' ability to get the job done.  This is just speculation,
    but I think there's some truth there."

There is no doubt about it some truth in this statement.  By no means
does that say anything in particular about anyone in particular... but
just so.

Strikes me that both ETD enthusiasts and ear tuning enthusiasts need to
be able to admit the inherent limitations, weaknesses,  and potential
pitfalls each approach have inherent in them.

Heck guys.... its just a discussion.  David Andersens dedication to
quality and the pursuit of self betterment in our trade is beyond question.

Cheers
RicB

    David,

    I respectfully disagree with the whole tenor of your posting. I
    believe this idea that tuning can only be done artistically by
    someone using ears alone, without utilizing an ETD as any part of the
    process, is unfortunate and limiting. To me it borders on a  sort of
    romanticizing mystification. ETD's are a tool, like anything else;
    they can be a great addition to and extension of our senses.

    I believe what you say about your passion for the artistic nature of
    the tuning process and respect that. But I hope you won't try to
    define what that artistry must involve for myself or others.

    Sincerely,

    Allen Wright, RPT
    London, UK