Grand hammers breaking off when keyframe is pulled

PIANOTECHNICIAN at aol.com PIANOTECHNICIAN at aol.com
Fri Feb 16 08:59:28 MST 2007

I'm not talking about a hammer breaking off (when a grand action is  pulled
out) because the hammer head is too high, thereby getting broken off by  the
pin block. I always check for clearance, as we all do, before pulling a  grand
action. I'm talking about the part of the plate that runs perpendicular to  the
pin block, and too close for comfort to the hammers at the treble break. The
bottom of the plate extends down, below string level.
Can you picture it now?

Jesse Gitnik  NYC
Since 1980