Grand hammers breaking off when keyframe is pulled

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Fri Feb 16 12:35:28 MST 2007

At 10:59 AM 2/16/2007 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm not talking about a hammer breaking off (when a grand action is
>pulled out) because the hammer head is too high, thereby getting
>broken off by the pin block. I always check for clearance, as we all
>do, before pulling a grand action. I'm talking about the part of the
>plate that runs perpendicular to the pin block, and too close for
>comfort to the hammers at the treble break. The bottom of the plate
>extends down, below string level.
>Can you picture it now?
>
>Jesse Gitnik  NYC
>Since 1980

Yes, I think you're talking about the (according to Campbell&Mason) -
horn, nose, wedge horn, fin, plate wing.  The part of the plate which
transmits part of the string tension to the back post structure.

Ya just gotsta be careful, get the front of the keys parallel to the
front of the piano and slowly slide it in.  It might helpful to look
through the action, at that break, to check your progress.

Conrad Hoffsommer

There comes a time in every man's life and I've had plenty of them.
-Casey Stengel