etd's and ears addendum

Ron Koval drwoodwind at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 16 18:18:49 MST 2007

So all this talk got me to thinkin'...

This tuning process becomes a self-reinforced feedback loop.  We create
something using a specific series of checks.  Then to test the result, we
use the same series of checks...  The variable in the equation is - the
tech.  Now there are techs happy with this aural approach, or that aural
approach, tunelab, Korg, Strobe, RCT, SAT and Verituner - all which can
produce different final results, all proven and checked by the specific tech
in question.  The clients too, get trained to expect a certain sound
preferred by their tech.  Add to that the preferred differences between ET
and the whole gamut of alternate temperament views ....  Remember the whole
arguement that most aural techs aren't able to tune anything BUT a mild
reverse well temperament?  (I'd have to agree to finding many, many examples
of that around here.)

So...

What makes a great tuning?

We can't seem to agree on octaves.  There's the direct reference folks, the
slightly expanded folks, the pure fifths, or octave fifths... beat, or dead
on.  Is there such a thing as beatless?

Even the unison.  Dead on, or ever so slightly off to bring more life to the
note?

I'm not sure David still quite "gets" the direction of my path... (I have
the utmost respect for your work.  We've never met, yet I "feel" your warm
soul through this connection.)

"I would never denigrate your skills or the skills of
anybody who uses the ETD as a powerful tool and as an ADJUNCT to
their ears, their body, their
intuition."

Close, but not quite...

"NONE OF
US GIVE A HOOT HOW THE BEAUTY HAPPENS, JUST THAT IT HAPPENS.  CAPISCE?"

There ya' go...

Here's where I take a sharp turn different than many and believe that a
machine calculation is capable of producing a beautiful tuning.  It's an
"ends justify the means" approach that has been argued over in the past.  Is
someone just "following the lights" still a piano tuner?

I'd like to "raise the bar" again.  Aural approaches to tuning have made
great strides (in consistency)in response to the development of the
machines.  I like to search for the methods to give even beginning tuners
the ablility to bring MUSIC to the instrument.  Yes, MUSIC.  Shorten the
tuning learning curve to focus on voicing, actionwork and other approaches
written here on the list.

There shouldn't be an excuse for random temperament errors multiplied
through a tuning to end up with many of the wild bass and treble tunings
I've heard.  "Hazing" new recruits with aural training simply isn't a valad
reason.

Are we there yet?  Close, so, so close...

Ron Koval
Chicagoland