paid for pitch raise

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Sun Feb 18 19:42:51 MST 2007

Paul writes:
<<  Check and tighten the bench legs before anything else.  You clearly show
your client your interest in their piano and include little free services to
demonstrate that care. >>

  Actually, there is no such thing as free service if you spend time at their
house and give them a bill.
     If a tech does more than tune, yet only charges his "tuning fee", then
in reality, he is charging less for tuning than what he is saying.
   If I think a discount is necessary, then I write it off as advertising,
customer relations, etc.  but it is not "free".  This is why I tell potential
customers that the first visit costs more than the normal tuning.  Presently, a
tuning is $ 135 and a first visit is $ 160.  This does two things.  It allows
me to justify tightening the bench, the plate, the action screws and the
squeaky pedal, and it also weeds out a certain level of custoemr that is looking
for the lowest price they can find.  That kind of customer actually believes
that they can get the best for less, and are usually more concerned with cost
than value.  I don't want them.
      I believe that it is better to shape my clientele to myself than
letting it shape me to them, so I am always working to develop customers that
understand the best costs the most.  In the beginning, I had to compete on price,
since no one had ever heard of me, and I had no reputation to sell.  Things are
different now.  I knew that I didn't want  to permanently compete on price, so
I always tried to offer a higher quality of work than could be had elsewhere.
 It gradually began to pay off, it is now possible for me to continually
refine my customer profile to suit my target clientele.   I have no regrets for
always striving for excellence and charging the absolute top dollar.  It is
interesting that today, I have more work coming at me than I am physically able to
do and my customers are more than happy to pay me.
       All we have to sell is our time so I don't confuse my business model
with altruism,  I charge for all of my time because it is the only thing of
real worth that I possess.  When it is gone, it is gone forever and I cannot get
it back.  After 30 years of doing this, it has become evident that customers
will NOT value my time more than I do so I charge for it and they appreciate
it.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT