etds and ears

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Thu Feb 22 14:31:52 MST 2007

On Feb 22, 2007, at 7:28 AM, Fenton Murray wrote:

> Dave,
> I tried one today a beat low, I can see how one could get used to
> the rhythm
> of bringing every thing up a bit, way better for me than bringing
> everything
> back down, but, I gotta go with Ed here.
Gotta go with Ed as in, tuning from above as a favorite platform?

> I want as close to my final pitch
> as possible through the middle, up in the alto/treble I don't mind
> things a
> little sharp, easy to drop them in.
yes, by pounding and settling, but I'm just happier and more secure
coming from slightly below, and settling the pin and the string
completely  that way---I'm sure it's just that I'm so used to it it's
my OPINION that it's the good way---but I want to know the TRUTH, AS
IN THE FORTUNE COOKIE, so I'm open to a change. But I'll probably
keep doing it my way, because it's the right way for ME. It feels
good to my body.  Better than from above. So.

> If nothing else it's less work for
> crying out loud,
How is it less work? That it tends to go down slightly anyway?
> the bass I don't like to pull sharp at all, unless I know
> there is no risk of breaking strings, like new Yamahas or whatever.
I totally agree.
> On a 50c
> pitch raise I shoot for a window of a beat or 2 sharp and have no
> problem
> tuning the piano at 441 or so if that's where it ends up.
Agree 100%. A little float is absolutely no problem, in all but the
most anal situations, and even there... ;---)
you can get away with almost anything if folks like how the tuning
sounds.....ask Keith Albright, the king non-film studio tuner in LA,
about that....oh yeah....the big float.....
xoxxoDA