False beat eliminator, becomes- String straightening, a question

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Fri Feb 23 05:42:36 MST 2007

Presumably, the item Jesse refers to is seen in the Schaff Catalog
(#101 - False Beat Suppressor, P.48).  The generous in our midsts
might chuckle or drop Schaff a note about perhaps 'suppressing' this
item in the next catalog revision, or at least significantly
modifying the descriptive text.  Those less benevolently inclined
(moi? (rhymes with voila, not viola)) would,  on a slow day, lovingly
dwell upon and ponder each and every  hyperbolic claim or mis-stated
fact contained therein, the decisive moment eventually arriving, as,
at a tasting of fine (or even less fine) wines, after allowing the
bouquet to fully develop in the mouth: spit or swallow?  And, as
having to read the last sentence amply proves, there is no such thing
as "a little torture".  Now, if you'll turn to page  48 and read, silently.

Thank you.  The question raises an excellent opportunity to address a
corollary issue: how much "straightening" do you do, how, and at what
point, in the preparation of a newly strung piano?  That would also
include, I suppose, string stretching, as accomplished with sister
item #132.  Please turn now to page 46 and read, responsively?

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson,NY