New Falcone 'false beats'

Dave Davis dave at davispiano.com
Fri Feb 23 08:10:25 MST 2007

In my area (Western Washington), 50 cents flat would be extreme if the piano were delivered to the customer at A440+. Most of the "warranty" tuned pianos that I see, the dealers suggest the tuning occur within 90 days. If your tuning had occured within 90 days, and was 50 cents flat, it might be cause to charge the dealer for a pitch raise. After 9 months, some sort of pitch raise is inevitable on a new piano.

During the warranty tune is a great time to educate customers about what manufacturers recommend for tuning. Have a supply of the PTG brochures, especially the How often should I tune my piano. Almost every new piano customer asks me that question.

As to the Petrof, I find them a pleasure to tune, especially the IV and III.

There is quite a lot of false beat info to chew in the archives. Take a few hours and sift through it. :-)

Best wishes,
Dave Davis, RPT