Tuner's note in piano -funny

Tom Sivak tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 23 17:46:07 MST 2007

Here in Illinois, home of the mighty Wurlitzer factory in Dekalb, I tune quite a few Wurlies, and whereas I could not include them among the elite pianos of the world, I find very few with loose tuning pins, and they're ALL over 20 years old.  I find the Wurlitzers to be sturdily built little war horses, many of which are still bringing musical pleasure to their owners.

I'm not saying that you won't have to tune past the false beats in the treble, but then, name another spinet of that era that is any better?   I'd much rather tune a Wurly than a Gulbransen, Janssen, Starck, or Betsy Ross.  (Flame suit on---go ahead---hit me!)

  Perhaps out on the East coast you don't see that many Wurlies.  Around here there as common as grass.

Oh...you don' t have much of that in NYC, either.

  Tom Sivak
  Chicago

PIANOTECHNICIAN at aol.com wrote:
      That's a real screamer. I guess the frustration of the tuner was too much to bear - -he had to get it out of his system so he  wrote it on the key. In 27 years of piano work, I don't think I've ever tuned a Wurlitzer vertical more than 20 years old that had tight tuning pins. That's why I sometimes ask a new customer to play
  all the notes on the piano for me over the phone after I ask her how long it's been since the piano was tuned. If it's a Wurlitzer spinet, tuned just last year, and each  bass bichord note sounds like a perfect third all by itself, I know I'm in for one wicked piano!

  Jesse Gitnik  NYC
  In it since 1980