new Hamilton

Jurgen Goering pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com
Mon Feb 26 22:01:15 MST 2007

It is not so much about the paper fibers compressing.  The reality is
that paper is quite hygroscopic, just like wood, perhaps even more so.
It draws in ambient moisture, expands, gives it off again and shrinks.
Repeated cycles lead to warping.  If you have a stack of thin
punchings, after a while they will not lay flat any more, they will be
like a  vertical stack of potato chips.  Not quite that bad, of course,
but the same idea.  You can observe that they do not create a solid
stack, there are air gaps that develop between the layers. The result:
unstable regulation --> keys out of level and varying key height (bal.
rail),  imprecise dip and aftertouch, as well as that mushy feeling
when they compress under pressure.
I will not go through an action and replace two .010  with a .020.  But
if I want to add more paper, I will do that.  When I am touching up dip
or key level, I like to take out more punchings than I put in.

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply
(250) 754-2440
info at pianofortesupply.com