repairing broken bass strings

Thomas Cole tcole at cruzio.com
Wed Feb 28 10:47:32 MST 2007

If you tie a knot in a piece of rope the same way we tie a string
splice, you will find that, after playing around with the "bitter ends",
that you do not have a reef knot or square knot as is commonly thought
but a "thief's knot", which is what you would use to tie up your camel
when you suspect someone is borrowing it during the night. The borrower
will retie the rope in a square knot and thus you will confirm your
suspicion.

Tom Cole