electronics replacing pianos?

Joseph Alkana josephspiano at comcast.net
Thu Jan 11 13:33:53 MST 2007

Yes, I too agree. In addition I advocate educating our customers at every opportunity. If no one ever mentions how much better a piano could be, or how another piano might improve the playing/ listening experience, the musical caliber will be slow to rise. We need to stir the stick and constantly be aware of how to enlighten or enrich the overall piano experience for our customers. Raising the conscious level of quality will help elevate your work experience, too, as customers seek better instruments or improvements for their own existing pianos.
OK, I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but do you:

Demonstrate how nice the piano sounds after tuning or voicing?
Perfectly adjust a mal-playing key and have the customer experience the difference?
Discuss local events where they might hear and experience great piano music?
Discuss false beats, their causes on a simple level, and what could or could not be done to improve the focus of tone in their instrument?
Chit - chat about their teacher, or suggest someone that might help them experience a more satisfying practice time?
Take time to talk to the young folk about their progress, concerns and expectations?
Take the time to show them the innards of the piano, and how it functions?
Pass out literature that helps in a re-enforcing way to illustrate and amplify the verbal things you discuss?

Enough of the lecture.

Joseph Alkana RPT