My first tuning attempt

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Mon Jan 22 10:21:24 MST 2007

comments below....

>>  But it´s not time-saving. A Verituner tuning still takes me the
>> same time or even more.
>>
>> Gregor

> For me it was time saving. I mean, all you're doing is basically
> tuning unisons. It does take a while to get used to visual
> tuning...looking at the screen.
>
> For me it also made my ear so incredibly lazy. After I sold the
> VT-100 and went back to aural tuning, I was literally amazed at the
> loss in my aural skills that had once been so quick and accurate.
> It took several months to get that confidence back. I won't choose
> that again unless my hearing starts to fail.
>
> JF

Thank you, John.  I appreciate your humble honesty. Let's run that
back one more time:

"For me it also made my ear so incredibly lazy. After I sold the
VT-100 and went back to aural tuning, I was literally amazed at the
loss in my aural skills that had once been so quick and accurate. It
took several months to get that confidence back. I won't choose that
again unless my hearing starts to fail."

Bingo.

I can't say, with surety, that what happened with John will, or does,
happen with every aural tuner that makes the switch to mainly ETD
tuning. I sincerely hope not. Because the most precious tool, the
biggest asset, the real payoff in terms of a successful business for
us artisans is our exponentially enhanced ability to listen---and
feel--- in a focused, calm, attentive, relaxed way.

I guess the question I have for all you ETD users is this, and I
would deeply appreciate honesty here: where is your attention when
you tune a piano? Do you listen in a focused, calm, attentive,
relaxed way, giving your self to the world of sound? Or are you "on
automatic," and free to roam through your thoughts, dreams, and
schemes, putting the bulk of your attention on the stream of dialog
in your head? I believe it's an important question, and I hope I get
both honesty and collegiality in the replies, if any.

Happy Monday, kids.  I'm off to work......

David Andersen