Hamburg Steinway sostenuto (-not)

centipod at mac.com centipod at mac.com
Tue Jan 23 14:25:44 MST 2007

I'm rebuilding the action and restringing on a 1926 Hamburg Steinway
O 170, and was surprised to find that it has no sostenuto mechanism,
although it does have tabs on the damper levers (the old un-hinged
kind). It's not just missing the mechanism - there are only two
pedals. This is my first experience with an old Hamburg; I wondered
if others with more experience with them (Europeans perhaps) can tell
me whether this is typical, and when they started installing
sostenutos.  Perhaps other models had the sostenuto in this era, and
that's why these dampers have the tabs?

Sincerely,

Allen Wright, RPT