Earplug suggestions

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Wed Jun 13 04:44:56 MDT 2007

Jason Kanter wrote:
> I also spent upwards of $200 for custom-fitted musician' earplugs from
> my local audiologist -- Westone ES49 Musicians' Earplugs,
>  <http://www.westone.com/music/elite.html#es49>-- and I find them quite
> uncomfortable and dislike wearing them. If you do have them, don't use
> baby oil or mineral oil to lubricate them for insertion -- use Astroglide.
> Westone also sells ER-20s for $10/pair.
> http://www.westone.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.100.exe/online-store/scstore/p-79445.html?E+scstore
> <http://www.westone.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.100.exe/online-store/scstore/p-79445.html?E+scstore>
> But don't rule out the "canal cap" type offered by Diane Hofstetter;
> they are quite comfortable and effective.
>
> Jason

It sounds like your Westones weren't fitted just right. Mine have never
been uncomfortable, forsooth, I've slept with them in. (long plane
flights/noisy motels/pitch raises, etc.)

Depending on how long you've had them, of course, you might go back and
complain. Stuff that expensive should fit right!! After a while (7-8
years for me), the material _does_ harden enough for them not to be as
effective as they should be due to changing contours of your ear canal
as you move around/swallow/squint.

> Are these or musicians earplugs suitable for use for aural tunings?  Can you still hear all the beats at all frequencies?

Yes.

--
Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.