Keep on filing...

Tony Caught acaught at internode.on.net
Thu Jun 21 04:31:31 MDT 2007

  Hi Danilo,

  Thanks, Tony, I enjoyed this mail!

  No." I was quite baffled. I even tried to convince him that something must be improvable by playing a bit and asking "Is this or that really supposed to be like this, ideally? -Yes, it's fine." Then he added "Just avoid the sun, it makes it go out of tune faster."

  This is what I was reffering to. You will find that on this list the majority of participants do not fall in this catigory.

  Well, it gave me another reason to teach myself. On the opposite end, I gave a recital in a church on a 70's Steinway B, which the organist had hired someone to renovate for ca $15000. The members of his constitution were forever complaining "Did you really have to spend so much money?" He asked me to help him out by taking every opportunity to praise the instrument. Which I dutifully did. "The best piano I've ever played on, it's as good as a brand new one, and they cost bla bla, it's amazing what value you can get from such a perfect restoration!" It was easy, as I was speaking the truth...

  About the position of the jack, you wrote
  "..the repetition regulating screw at the hammer end of the repetition lever requires adjusting to allow the top of the jack to be just below the top of the repetition lever."

  Lift the hammer up of the action and have a look at the movement of the top of the jack in relation to the repetition lever. Run a small straight edge ( end of a small ruler) over the repetition lever and it should NOT touch the jack when the key is just released. Upon releasing the finger from the key slowly you will notice the jack top falls just below the top of the rep. spring and in practice under the knuckle. If it does not then there are two solutions.

  1. adjust the repetition screw so that the lever is high enough to allow free movement of the jack.

  2. Because you have increased the tension on the rep. spring the rep. lever may now be higher and you need to reajust the drop screw to correct the height that the rep. lever will go.

  I thought it was suppposed to be just above the top of the repetition lever? And I've adjusted it that way. Please be so kind as to confirm this! Or do you mean the position of the jack at the moment the hammer is released from check and lifted up by the repetion lever?

  "Your drop screw may be too low stopping the repetition lever going up high enough"
  I've set it to make the drop about a mm or so, relying on my eyesight.
  You've given me some new things to look out for, so next time I get to the instrument, I'll check everything carefully: I'll try to add some weight to the hammer shank (someone wrote somewhere about wrapping a bit of solderingmetal around the shank?) and carefully observe the relative positions of the jack/repetitionlever from rest to full depression of the key and back. Anything else I should think of?

  Have fun it's exciting learning

  Tony