polishing spoons

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 07:31:34 MDT 2007

Hi Bill.

Likewise. Good to put a face to the name.  Sorry mine wasn't anything
better to look at, though. ;-)

I've never tried peeling off the damper felt, and it wouldn't be my
first thing to try. In the situation Dean listed, I would mention to
the customer that dampers need to be replaced. If problems develop as
a result of bad dampers, I wouldn't feel it my responsibilty to spend
hours trying to realign string grooves to strings.  The emery board
has worked pretty well for me on the flat felt.

Others have suggested using a battery-operated toothbrush, which
sounds fun to try. Sounds like it would do great on bichord and
monochord felts.

Setting dampers is not on my fun list of things to do either, but I
think it would be easier than spending hours trying to align those
string grooves. I don't have a lot of experience with that, though.
Just guessing mostly.

JF