Lowell Component Downbearing Gauge

jimialeggio5 at comcast.net jimialeggio5 at comcast.net
Mon May 7 07:51:26 MDT 2007

John,

Your points are well taken...but here is my big question regarding the whole
after-stringing downbearing measuring concept.

The innate inaccuracy from any of these techniques, given the strings' speaking
length tendency to deflect and vibrate while your fussing with whatever tool, will yield
a measurement that needs to be taken with a grain of salt.  Add to that that since changes
in the downbearing at this point can be made locally with vertical hitch pins,  but only
globally (moving the plate) with standard hitch pins...what does a very time consuming
very localized measurement buy you?

If you are going to change the bearing you would most likely do it globally( unless there are
vertical hitchpins throughout) and that change would be monitored empirically anyway, ie by ear.
So my thinking would be come up with a way to "get a reasonable sense" of the static downbearing
quickly and proceed with an informed, but ear guided response.

The big reason I see for being able to very accurately measure after-stringing downbearing is
to compare it to the projected board deflection you predicted prior to setting downbearing,  to see
it you are predicting the affect of string loading reasonably accurately for future projects.

Jim I