Lowell Component Downbearing Gauge

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Tue May 8 18:27:13 MDT 2007

Hi JD
  Hey.  I've been gone but Thanks for chiming in on  this & verifying what
I've ben saying.  I wasn't sure there was any  interest or perhaps It's use just
wasn't clear.

HOWEVER this gauge suffers from one obvious shortcoming and that is its
resolution to only 0.1 degrees, which might not sound much when you say it
quickly, but in practice is equivalent to a card's thickness (roughly 9 thou  or
0.22mm) at the string rest given a back-length of 5 inches (127 mm.), and a  very
significant percentage of the actual range of angular deflection applied  in
practice.  As regards downbearing, an angular deflection of 0.1 degree
represents about 70 pounds-force at the bridges when applied throughout the  typical
grand piano.

>From what I can see of Dale's device and gauge, even if his gauge stepped
(go no-go), as it seems to be, in steps of 5 thou, he is still able to measure
the angle with half the tolerance of the Wixey gauge, ie. to within 3' or 0.05
 degrees.  With a continuous wedge gauge it is possible to achieve even
better accuracy.

  This is correct.  The thin brass wedge p[pictured  is in .05 increments &
Is a handy tool from Dana  Masaglia.
  Since  I'm usually  only interested in net  bearing figure , this  25 cent
jig does see it quickly &  nicely.  It can also be used for a quick reference
as the go no go tool as  you say.  SO often I follow up on Estimates where
another Technician has  stated that the piano in question had bearing as checked
with the  Lowell gauge only to find after it's unstrung that it had none at
all.  My  caution to folks is beware giving these findings as absolute when
bubbling  around.  Unless you can see an overall net bearing with a simple  gauge
such as this there likey is precious little bearing or crown in the  system
being anaylized.  Know what I mean?

At 9:05 am -0400 4/5/07, Dale Erwin wrote:

On a 5 inch string segment yielding a gap of  .065 thous (as measured with
the gauge in the picture) reveals that there is  about 3/4 of a degree of
residual net bearing.  Now this is a new board  set up at 1 1/2 degrees. So I've
squashed the board 3/4 of a  degree.

In fact in this instance Dale's measurement could hardly be more accurate
since

sine(3/4) x 5" = 0.0654"

but even supposing Dale is using a go-no-go gauge with 5 thou steps and  went
to the 70 thou step rather than the 65 thou, the calculated angle would  be
only about 0.05 degrees different.  I've photoshopped Dales picture to  make it
quite clear where the gauge rests, on the speaking length in front of  the
pins.

That said, I'm sure Dale will agree that although this method is quite
accurate for measuring and demonstrating the angle after the event, it is not  the
perfect method for setting up the angles before the piano is  strung.

  Indeed.  Spot on.
  Dale

JD