Warning on heat use for shank removal

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Sun May 13 18:29:26 MDT 2007

I love Kawai pianos, and the abs and carbon parts used in the actions.  But I feel obliged to warn those of you who like using heat guns that these parts ARE susceptible to overheating/melting.  No, I did not melt one, as I was aware of the possible consequences.  I did warm one up to remove a broken shank, though, and saw a fleck or two of carbon in the pvc-e glue that was on the end of the shank as I pulled it out.

So don't nuke the synthetic parts...use the heat gun very judiciously!

Dave Stahl, RPT

Dave Stahl Piano Service
650-224-3560
dstahlpiano at sbcglobal.net