YC bracket installation

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Mon May 28 12:09:38 MDT 2007

Hi, Jim:
    There are shims in the outer bracket support "feet" that are removable so you can move the stack forward or back a little bit.  My experience is that the old holes are usually in the right place.
    I figure that the stack is where it needs to be when the hammers check properly.  You want to make sure that the height of the stack is correct.  Chisel off the splinters from around the screw holes so that the brackets sit squarely on the bracket supports (feet?).  Be sure to check the bedding of the keyframe (if you start the bedding from scratch, you may be doing a LOT of key levelling, dip, all 9 yards of regulation.)  You will likely find that the inner brackets sit a little higher off the keyframe, so shim as necessary.  After you screw the stack down, check to see that the hammer rail is still straight.  Without shimming, you may see it bow in the middle.  If your stack height is correct, and the fore/aft adjustment is correct, the regulation should come back into line (except if someone did a lot of letoff adjustments).
      If you plan to bill Young Chang, know that they are offering only $150. for the job.
    YMMV.  Good luck.
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego