Erard under dampers

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon May 28 13:35:40 MDT 2007

At 11:03 am -0700 28/5/07, Jurgen Goering wrote:

>JD - thanks for the information on recreating dampers for vintage
>pianos.  Do you have a special trick for cutting the damper felt on
>an angle?  I find it hard enough to cut cut it nice and vertical! :^)

The main trick is in the sharpening of the knife.  I lay the felt in
a board of soft wood (without hard winter growth) that is rough
enough through use to grip the felt and prvent it from sliding.  For
a straight-edge I use a strip of hardwood about 30 mm by 6.  First I
cut the edge at an angle, with the knife angled away from the
straight-edge so that it keeps contact with the rule.  I press hard
down on the rule with four fingers as I go.  After 6 inches or so I
stop the knife, leaving it in position while I move my fingers to
press on the rule further along, and so on.  The knife must be sharp
enough and the pressure hard enough to cut right down to the board in
one pass.

I then cut two pieces of card to the widths I need to get the taper
of width I need.  I turn the felt over and use the card gauges to
line up the straight-edge the proper distance from the edge of the
sheet and then repeat the above process.  So I end up with a strip
that is wider against the board than at the top.  I then turn the
strip over and make my dots, over again and squeeze out the line of
glue along the centre, etc.

The knife must be curved and preferably not of stainless steel, which
is hard to get sharp enough.  I put the final edge on the knife using
the buffing wheel (cheating, maybe, but very effective!) and a razor
strop.  For this job I will even strop the knife again before the
second cut.

Pictures to follow when the gods send me both an assistant and a
camera at the time I'm doing it.

I've occasionally thought of building a proper machine with a long knife, but
I always decided against it, although I use this method for all
dampers, not just for antiquities.

JD