New Stein. A loose hammer flanges

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Wed Nov 7 08:52:20 MST 2007

<<    Steinway A is less then 1 year old.

   Rep. problem, on fast playing, trills some note fail. regulation is
technically correct

by specs. 20 swings plus on hammer flanges.

Questions

1) Should the flanges blow out so quickly.....or

rather is this common on the new Steinway. Note: this

is a serious player that can really play difficult

material.<<

    No, they should be firm for years.  Totally loose flanges don't work.  I
don't care what anybody says about the advantages of zero friction in the
flange,  flanges in the real world need to exert more control over the pin.  The
latest attempt to gain control of their pinning has the factory telling us they
are using impregnated felt that is to be workable at zero friction.  I guess
they assume they can get tolerances so close that they can deliver zero
friction AND no sideplay.  I ain't seen it yet.

>>2) Should this be a warranty issue, or is this

considered grey area to negotiate with the store.<<

       Hmm,  you have a one year old supposedly "top" tier instrument that is
malfunctioning.
Does the store want to:
1.  Pay for you to look for something else that might be causing the
malfunctioning ?
2.  Pay you to address the pinning and regulation
3.  Convince the pianist that their technique is causing the malfunction, (I
have seen this before).

3) When examining pinning issues. What effect on

   touch, response, rep. would you expect from

   other pinning issues....loose wippen, rep lever,

   jack. >>

         I don't know that loose whippens create much problem, other than
noise.  Loose jacks are more out of control under fast repetition,(they oscillate
a lot more after escapement), as well as noisy.  Loose rep levers decrease
the amount of spring for a given hammer rise, and make it more difficult to set
the springs consistantly.

regards,

Ed Foote RPT
http://www.aol.com</HTML>