Voicing needles?

PAULREVENKOJONES paulrevenkojones at aol.com
Sat Sep 1 00:34:00 MDT 2007

David:

All of the methodology you describe is in the arsenal of voicers, including me. I question the phrase "meant to be treated". I doubt that there is any inherent built-in intended methodology other than those recommended by specific hammer makers (Steinway comes to mind with the discussion several years ago about the pre-lacquered hammers). I've attended numerous classes at meetings over the years given by particular hammer manufacturers. To a one, they speak either generally or specifically about the procedures you outline below and nothing more, and all with the intent to sell their hammers (can't fault them for trying). Chris Robinson, Steve Pearson, Bob Davis, and Dale Erwin are the only class lecturers I've run into (I'm sure there are more) who have actually demonstrated "outside the box" techniques which work such as side-needling. You gave away the reason to do it: toning down the attack on a hard hammer. It's certainly not the first thing I do, and maybe not the last, but it is in the arsenal of techniques. I have run into several concert technicians (CSO, Tanglewood, Boston Symphony years ago) who literally swear by this with a great deal more fervor than I. It's just another method. And just for the record, I was responding to the use of single glovers needles in the original post. A single stitch all the way through right above the molding will do an amazing job in reining in a recalcitrant attack while not changing the other characteristics so carefully created. I'd be interested in your trying it yourself to see the effect (not on your concert D, please).

Paul

"If you want to know the truth, stop having opinions" (Chinese fortune cookie)