Voicing needles?

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Sep 1 08:50:25 MDT 2007

I guess I'm getting crotchety and opinionated.  Believe me, I've also used
many "outside the box" techniques over the years.  I've come to the
conclusion that most outside the box techniques (alcohol, steam, vice grips,
lacquer) come about because of flawed hammers.  No question that you can
impact the tone of a hammer by all of those including side needling.  My
point about "meant to be." is that the hammer, in my view, should perform a
certain mechanical function: imparting adequate energy to the string in an
efficient way with hammer/string contact time being a critical component.
The hammer, like the other essential elements in tone building (string and
soundboard) should also function like a spring.  The firmness of the spring
may need to vary depending on the string scale and soundboard, but it should
always perform like a spring-at least in order to optimize tonal control.
Further, it should really match the soundboard and string scale but that's a
separate issue.  The spring component is influenced mostly by the tension in
the felt, the flexibility in the shoulder and the flexibility over the
crown.  While the tension in the felt is a determined by how the hammer is
manufactured it can be influenced by needling.  Excessive heating of the
hammer, btw, destroys the inner tension of the felt, and is the reason that
many hammers will not respond that well to needling.  In those cases you are
simply needling a dead lump of felt rather than releasing tension.  Lacquer
also destroys the inner tension by binding everything together.  Needling
the shoulders will have no effect in a lacquered hammer because everything
is glued together.  But I digress.  With proper needling, you can, then,
reduce the tension and, in fact, you can increase the tension, at least
toward the crown to some degree when the need arises, though this technique
has some limitations.  The spring tension over the crown will be influenced
by the tension on the shoulders.  If you release tension from the shoulders,
you will release tension from the crown (though if you are not careful about
where you needle you can actually release tension toward the crown and make
the crown harder-yipes this is complicated).  My problem with needling under
the crown or into the crown without releasing tension or creating a bit of
give in the shoulders first is that it doesn't really help to create a more
efficient spring for your overall system.  It just creates a soft spot at
the strike point.  It will take the edge off, at least to some degree and at
some level of playing, but the hammer won't respond correctly at all levels
of playing.  It is faster in a pinch, but nothing is free.

Anyway, that's the best I can do for the moment at 7:30 on a Saturday
morning.   Now I'm off to my real job-driving kids to soccer games!

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com