What are benefits of new shanks on upright hammer replacement ?

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 12 21:10:43 MDT 2007

On 8/30/07, John Delacour <JD at pianomaker.co.uk> wrote:

> Michael Magness wrote:
> > ...true you have to reduce the hammer shanks a little, if using the
> > originals, to remove all the glue...
> Why?  The glue can be removed without removing any wood and once the end
> of the shanks have been soaked and allowed to dry out they are the same
> diameter, or even a little more, than they were originally.
>
> JD

Hi John,

I believe soaking the shanks would create some of the problems one was
attempting to bypass. Is this your method for removing the glue without
reducing the shanks? If you soak the ends what's to stop the soaking agent,
whatever that is, from continuing into the shank and causing it to warp,
twist, bend etc.? Secondly the assumption is being made that the glue being
used would be hide glue. I have found the relatively new Titebond Molding
and Trim glue to be a superior glue for hanging hammers, requiring a clean
wood surface with no old glue.

Mike

--
Never become so much of an expert that you stop gaining expertise. View life
as a continuous learning experience.

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404