understrike?..1888 hazelton horror

David Renaud drjazzca at yahoo.ca
Thu Sep 13 06:33:37 MDT 2007

How common is an understrike on a very
very old grand piano.

Hazelton grand, 1888.

The hammers were changed, hornbeam; much to heavy.
Lead was taken out to compensate,(its 62 down
40 up with the hornbeam and 3 leads removed) pinblock
done wrong, someone made a lovely mess.

   Bore distance properly measured is ideally 4.5
cm in treble and 5.0cm in bass. In there now
is 5.0 and 5.5 respectively. .5 cm too long.

   There is room for the letoff and drop screws
to come up enough, and the strike point at C88
is about 4mm from the agraff(agraffs throughout).

    I am thinking because that bore is short, and
it is a very old piano, and I am curious if some
pianos of this era are designed to have an understike.

   Is it just my best guess, or is there a proper
procedure to make a determination?

                                  Cheers
                                  David Renaud