The shadow knows

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 19 22:29:35 MDT 2007

On 9/19/07, Ron Nossaman <rnossaman at cox.net> wrote:

> > I for one found it very interesting. A few years ago I I saw string
> > shadows during tuning for the first time. I was amazed at the amount of
> > deflection of the tenor strings. For some reason, it is not apparent at
> > all if you only watch the strings.
> >
> > Jurgen Goering
>
> Visual contrast. The reflected color values of the strings
> aren't significantly different from the soundboard when you're
> watching the string. They're analog. Shadows are binary.
>
> Have you ever seen shadows cast by small items like leaves on
> a tree during a partial solar eclipse? It's wonderful!
> Ron N

Sorry Ron, I guess the Shadow thing went right over my head, the last time I
tuned in full sunlight was a studio piano on a stage at an outdoor venue. I
remember being extremley irritated by the brightness all around and the
contrasting darkness inside the piano, the sun was directly overhead. My
eyes couldn't make the adjustment to the inner gloom and I was having
difficulty with mute placement. I had left my sunglasses in my truck, a 6
block walk away, hours earlier during the cloudy morning.
I have watched the dust bunnies gently roll across the sounding board as I
pound my tunings into the high school grands for the visiting artist I was
called  to tune for, last minute of course but I guess that's not really the
same......<grin>

Mike

--
Never become so much of an expert that you stop gaining expertise. View life
as a continuous learning experience.

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404