cable action

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 21 19:22:16 MDT 2007

On 9/21/07, richard.ucci at att.net <richard.ucci at att.net> wrote:

>  Thanks Jack,
>
> The dip did feel a tad shallow, measured it @ about 8mm,and checking was
> not great either.
>
> I'll use the tip of buckskin on the tails.
>
> RU/UP
>
> -------------- Original message from JWyatt1492 at aol.com: --------------
>
> Hello Richard,
>
>    You have a Wood-Brooks  90% action.
> This action was actually  invented by the Thayer
> Action Co.  just  before they  merged with
> Wood.-Brooks.
>
>   In the late 1940s it was introduced as a
> "GRAND ACTION"  in a vertical.  I was young
> and believed the  " Factory Experts "
>
>    Checking was a problem in some cases we
> put leather on the hammer tails, this worked very
> well.
>
>   To help this action it needs to be well lubricated
> and add a little key depth.
>
>    You will find a working model in the  Foundation
> Museum.
>
> Regards
> Jack Wyatt
>

>  ------------------------------
> See what's new at AOL.com <http://www.aol.com/?NCID=AOLCMP00300000001170>and Make
> AOL Your Homepage<http://www.aol.com/mksplash.adp?NCID=AOLCMP00300000001169>
> .
>
> One caveat Rick, there really are no "modern" spinets, to my knowledge the
last of them were made several years ago. The market niche/price point for
them was taken over by the digital pianos and since they were a "loss
leader" for the companies anyway, I'm certain they were happy to quit making
them.

I for one and I'm certain every other tech who's thought about asked the
question, how could they manufacture a piano that required more parts, thus
more assembly time, equaling more production costs and charge less for it?
Yes they didn't use high quality parts but even lower quality parts and
additional assembly equal higher overall cost! The only answer is there
wasn't a big profit margin on spinets, probably barely a break even. The
original concept wasn't to sell them, it was to advertise them at a lower
cost then move the customer up to a console when they came in to look at the
cheap piano. Unfortunately for us, many customers wouldn't move up!
Fortunatly for us, those days are gone and as the spinets die they won't be
replaced! Huzzah!!

Mike

--
Never become so much of an expert that you stop gaining expertise. View life
as a continuous learning experience.

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404