why I don't post

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner at msn.com
Sun Sep 30 17:51:35 MDT 2007

Wow!  I tried to find a partially-quoted email in this series.  Thought I was being really smart, doing a search that would show me all the emails.  Here's my search results!

Results for "Re: why I don't post". Return to inbox.

Page

From
Subject
 Date
Size

0 messages

Page

Presumably there' s some better way of finding the whole thread?  (Actually, ANYTHING would be better than this.)Diane Hofstetter

To: pianotech at ptg.orgSubject: Re: why I don't postDate: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 16:42:20 -0400From: paulrevenkojones at aol.com
Dale:With love and all due respect, I do think it's silly (in the goose-like sense, bro!). We can only put our love out into the world in so many ways. To feel constrained from posting your thoughts, and particularly to feel that you have to constrain your "unbridled enthusiasm" (I picture wild horses), is simply ego and pride (you asked!). The problem arises from expectation. When we expect something from the universe, we front load the actual results with what we want; what we want then colors the reality of what we get. It's harder to see, and sometimes harder to take. So maybe stop expecting and just put your love out there. If someone has a problem with it, they have to live with themselves, not you. Don't rent space in your brain to them!With the deepest regards,Paul

-----Original Message-----From: Erwinspiano at aol.comTo: pmc033 at earthlink.netCc: pianotech at ptg.orgSent: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 2:47 pmSubject: Re: why I don't post

  Good post Paul
  Actually I refrain from posting often because of something probably silly.  But,In the past when I have posted things I thought might be of interest, the silence was deafening so I don't know how to interpret that. Generally I classify it as disinterest due to the shop nature of the topic or that somehow due to cyber -dom My unbridled enthusiastic show and tell style is misconstrued as .......well...something else unintended.
    Dunno But since we're clearin the air.

    Dale Erwin
 PS  Maybe it's my speliingg or Thesssar-u-s wrecx....Conrad...Nahhh.
  Please feel free to lambast me ----off list
Hi:    Contrary to what you might think, there are many of us (most) who will bemore than happy to answer any piano-related question you may have.      There are different repair procedures which have evolved over time for aparticular malady.  It's amazing to discover that, even for simple repairs,many different techniques exist.  That's the advantage of this list. Evenfor replacing elbows in a spinet, many different tricks have been postedhere.  We have input from some of the finest technicians on this list, someof whom are piano designers, engineers, and rebuilders with decades ofexperience to draw from.      It is natural for those technicians who are successful at the trade toevolve vastly different views regarding their particular methods of repair.A particular technician may have doing a repair for many years, and findthat it works for him/her.  He may have developed a theory of why thismethod works, and be convinced that this method is better than all othersbecause he has "understood" the underlying cause of the problem.  Anothertechnician may have evolved a different understanding, and be convincedotherwise.  Even though they may disagree with each other regarding aparticular method or theory, we can all learn something from the debate.      What is unfortunate is that too often the debate becomes personal, and anargument ensues.  The egos get involved and it starts to get ugly.  What todo?  Somehow, the computer seems to depersonalize the other party.  I doubtthat such heated arguments would take place if we all sat around a bigtable face to face.      If you have anything you'd like to inquire about, don't be shy.  Ask!  Youjust might find there's a LOT that can be gained by tapping into this greatresource.      By the way, what's your name?Paul McCloudSan Diego, CA