OT/old news/mice/ lavender

annie at allthingspiano.com annie at allthingspiano.com
Sun Sep 30 18:34:35 MDT 2007

Stephane,

How do you know the lavender actually repelled any of the mice?  You found
little mouse shacks under other furniture?  They posted tiny Rooms Wanted
signs on the lamp bases? <g>  (No nastiness meant -- I really do want to
know.)

My guess is that the best defense against mice is a really good offense,
and I doubt lavender is it (and I certainly apologize if I was one of the
people who suggested using it!).

I'd also guess that mice are like a cross between salmon and ants in that
they'll tend to nest in the same area they were raised, and the smell of
mice attracts more mice.

But poison is such a gruesome solution -- besides which, you can never be
sure that they're actually going to die where you'll find them easily and
quickly.  And it is so very dangerous to all living creatures that depend
on their blood remaining in the appropriate and necessary places.

Adult mice HAVE to come out of the piano to get food and water (although I
suppose they could live on moldy DC pads -- ick!).  Put traps around the
piano -- snap-traps for killing or live traps for catch-and-release.  My
favorites of both types are made by the Kness Company (www.kness.com).
Use peanut butter as bait.  (BTW, I think glue traps are one of the most
barbaric inventions, ever.)

Once you get them out, remove/cover all traces of mouse scent... and keep
a trap or two near the piano, especially in the fall.

Annie Grieshop