stretching wire

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Wed Apr 9 14:58:30 MDT 2008

Just a non-scientific inquiry here, but if the wire stretches any
perceptible amount, wouldn't the diameter decrease?  Even wires adjacent to
broken, 100-yr-old strings generally mic right on. Presumably, again using
unscientific notation, that is a specification for piano wire steel... that
is, to be able to resist stretching and the resulting diameter decrease.
Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN