Courtesy Call / Building Business

John Ross jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca
Sun Apr 13 10:28:33 MDT 2008

I now just have a poster in the window of a music store, with my toll free number. The store does not sell pianos.
The people call me, and I tell them I will call them the night before with a time I will be there. The odd time I make an appointment say a week or two away, I find I forget or the customer forgets. The night before call works for me. The odd time someone will say could I call them 2 nights ahead.
Initially when starting out, I was associated with a store that sold pianos, I did their warranty tunings and gave them a discount on their work, I then had that customer and they referred all callers about piano tunings to me. That worked fine until they bought their delivery guy, a SAT, and then for some unknown reason, people who called the store didn't want me, just their guy.
Music teacher referrals are a good source of business, as is a letter sent to all the churches in your local area.
 I had a contract with a University for 19 years, that gave me a lot of referrals too. Last October I indicated to the University, that I didn't want the contract for the coming year.
I have tried the Yellow pages, newspaper advertisements etc. The BEST advertising is word of mouth.
Do good work at a fair price, and you should have no trouble building a successful business. Always bearing in mind your customers needs. Everyone does not need their piano brought to a concert standard.
John Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca