Failed string splicing -- charge for time?

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Sat Apr 19 11:58:23 MDT 2008

I've been reading this thread on charging for repairs-that-fail with
interest.  I don't want to be ridged but in general I've always thought
of a repair as a repair...i.e. it's either fixed or not fixed.  If it's
not fixed I've not felt that I could charge the customer for not fixing
it.  If I've had doubt about a possible fix working, I've explained it
to the customer and left it up to them if they want to pay for an
attempt at a fix.  If I'm confident I can fix something and I fail, then
I don't charge.  I've just never figured out how I'd list it on the
invoice.  Something like: "couldn't fix (whatever).....$10.00"  ?!?

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT

dporritt at smu.edu