Failed string splicing -- charge for time?

mccleskey112 at bellsouth.net mccleskey112 at bellsouth.net
Sat Apr 19 13:42:55 MDT 2008

Hey: This has nothing to do with splicing wire but it was a unique way to deal with damper bleed when you can't replace a bass string. This was a long time ago and only on one piano and it was probably a spinet, but someone had replaced several broken unison bass strings with plain wire of a gauge that could be tuned an octave above. I don't know if this was a common practice back then or not but it seemed to work both to hold the wedge in place and to help fortify the single bass string. Has anyone else seen this?
Gerald McCleskey RPT