April 1st 2005 Science Magazine comments on piano wire "creep"

kurt baxter fortefile at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 23:13:02 MDT 2008

so much for the.. "there is no credible source claiming the existence of
> creep in piano wire".  Or so it would seem on the surface of it.  But then I
> dont really know this magazine and the statement was rather off the cuff in
> the paragraph and supplied nothing to back up the claim... indeed it was
> just used in passing for the sake of illustration.

I'd like to see what the guy has to say about the direct case of  piano wire
> well under the yield limit and kept at ambient temperatures and see what he
> has to back it all up with.

Agreed. From the actual scientific article:

-----
"Creep damage by void nucleation and growth limits the lifetime of
components subjected to loading at high temperatures."

"The efficiency of electricity-generating plants and gas turbines depends
strongly on their components' sustainability of loading at high temperatures.
"

"The sample was heated to 375°C ± 2°C by an induction-heated loop around the
bottom of the sample."

----

So it would seem that the peer-reviewed part has nothing to say about creep
happening at room temp.
Perhaps the intro comments were considered fluff-like and therefore not as
thoroughly fact-checked.

Kurt