stretching wire

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Apr 22 14:23:26 MDT 2008

> It seems to me that the original question was whether piano wire slowly
> stretches _at all _after
> tensioning,  or at least if the amount is significant, pitch wise. I
> think that has now been clearly
> shown.

That question came from the original question of does wire
continue to stretch throughout the life of the instrument,
which is far more than a couple of weeks old.

> I agree that after settling that, we have other important questions to
> move on to, but I can't
> pretend that this was never the issue. For many people taking a part in
> this discussion
> over the past few weeks, (including me, and from your comments, you) if
> the string was
> slowly creeping AT ALL was indeed a core question.

One of them, yes. To that point, I hadn't managed to find
anything that indicated it stretched at all after initial
tensioning at room temperature in the stress ranges inherent
in piano strings. It seems that it indeed does, somewhat, and
at a diminishing rate over time. At what rate, to what
ultimate degree, and for how long it stretches will finish the
rest of the original question if that information ever surfaces.

> In moving on to other details I don't want to dismiss the significance
> of what John found
> and shared on the subject.

That's fine, but the original question still remains unanswered.
Ron N