Hardening Bridge Caps

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Apr 26 08:34:07 MDT 2008

When cutting a new bridge cap I typically paint on a low viscosity epoxy to
both harden and seal the cap.  I do this after drilling and notching but
before pinning, sanding back the bridge top flat again before inserting the
bridge pins.

I'm considering doing this same process with a thin CA glue which seems like
it will offer some advantages: cures faster, wicks into the wood better,
requires less sanding afterward.

Any thoughts on the differences in terms of providing a seal and adding
density to the wood between the two substances?

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com