Hardening Bridge Caps

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Sat Apr 26 09:02:44 MDT 2008

Dave
? Jsut curious.? are you then pinning it before the epoxy dries or while it's wet. If wet isn't that a bit of a sticky wicket to get it done before things begin to set.
? If dry then the pin holes require some reaming....Yes? Are you coating the top with dag or leaving it natural
? I like this idea .....all but the sticky wicket part..
? Dale

When cutting a new bridge cap I typically paint on a low viscosity epoxy to
both harden and seal the cap.  I do this after drilling and notching but
before pinning, sanding back the bridge top flat again before inserting the
bridge pins.

I'm considering doing this same process with a thin CA glue which seems like
it will offer some advantages: cures faster, wicks into the wood better,
requires less sanding afterward.

Any thoughts on the differences in terms of providing a seal and adding
density to the wood between the two substances?

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com