scratched key cover

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Sat Apr 26 08:52:31 MDT 2008

Rick,

Are you sure you did the damage?  I went to a new client several years
ago, straight up tuning, got my check and left.  That evening, the dreaded
call came in. "you scratched my piano!"  I went over the next day.  They
lowered the fall board and there was a scratch on the top of the FB.  I
know I didn't do it because I never lowered or raised the fb.  This was a
nice piano and the people were nice in quite an affluent neighborhood, so
I bit my lip, touched it up and left.  Turned out to be a very good client
with lots of future referrals.  Sometimes, humble pie tastes better when
aged!

Paul

richard.ucci at att.net
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
04/26/2008 08:49 AM
Please respond to
Pianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>

pianotech <pianotech at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
scratched key cover

I need some help with a very agravating situation. New client, Wurly
spinet ca: 70's with the flat sliding key cover that folds over keyfronts.

After removing the top part which was screwed in at both sides (the part
with the music rack), I tuned the piano and replaced the top just as it
was before.

That night I get a call from the owner saying , "You scratched up my
piano!

I went back the following day and indeed the key cover is rubbing in
several places. I drilled two new screw holes and tilted the cover back so
as to not rub the keycover, but now I am faced with making repairs to said
cover.

I don't do repairs to the case and am having trouble finding someone who
does.
I could use some advice on this mess, and has this ever happened to any of
you folks?
Also, to what extent dollars wise ,should I be held liable?

Thanks,
Rick Ucci / Ucci Piano