hammer return spring string

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun Apr 27 12:31:39 MDT 2008

At 07:07 -0400 27/4/08, Tom Servinsky wrote:

>Braided fishing line is amazingly strong and not prone to being cut
>easily. 10lb test would be more than adequate for this application.
>One thing to keep in mindÊis this materialÊis very difficult to cut.
>You literally need a razor blade to cut this stuff. Scissors won't
>do it, nor will cutting pliers or the like.

Every time this topic comes up I get the impression that you can't
get hold of proper braided loop cord in America.  Here in Europe
almost all pianos have always had corded hammer flanges, so all
suppliers stock loop cord of one description or another.  I get mine
directly from the manufacturer in silk or polyester in various
diameters and colours.  The stuff I see from some suppliers is pretty
poor and made of cotton I think.  Silk or polyester cord will last
over 100 years under normal circumstances.

As for the glue, hot animal glue by far the quickest and the best for
this job as for most others.  I've been doing a tricky loop job today
-- not an upright but a special modification on a grand -- and
thought I'd try CA glue for speed.  What speed?!  I would have been
all day at it.  I quickly got the real glue warmed up and could then
do the job as fast as I wanted.  It's far stronger too.

JD