tune an autoharp

Brad Lehman bpl at umich.edu
Fri Jan 4 12:52:15 MST 2008

David and Jean Weiss wrote:
> Could someone please tell me how to tune an autoharp?  A client of
> mine asked if I could tune hers while I am there to tune here piano.

On the autoharps that don't need any enharmonic equivalences (write out
a quick map of the notes played by their chord buttons...), do it in
meantone.  Either 1/4 comma for pure major 3rds, or 1/6 comma for pure
tritones in the dominant-7th chords.

They sound as fabulous that way as autoharps are going to sound.

Brad Lehman