Being called on stage

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 6 19:59:43 MST 2008

At 06:29 PM 1/6/2008, pianotech-request at ptg.org wrote:
>Subject: Being called on stage
>Message: 9
>
>Like most of us, I have had to tune for various artists who come to
>this country from other places. However, may I relate to you a story
>about one of my first major concert tunings in Australia for a now
>recognised Australian pianist named Roger Woodwood.

I believe that's Roger Woodward. He is on the faculty where I work
(San Francisco State University).

>The piano was a 'D' and as was the case in those days, (1965), the
>piano was hired by the Melbourne Town Hall for all concerts. It was
>in good condition and never caused too many problems. I prepared it
>prior to the performance and took many hours ensuring that all was
>well. At interval, I was summoned to the dressing room, and told by
>the maestro that the 'G' above middle 'C' was OUT.
>As this was the first time I had to confront an audience of any
>description, I too was applauded as I made my way to the piano, much
>to my chagrin and embarrassment. I was forced to put my head inside
>the piano, due to the noise, to hear the offending note, which in
>fact was not offending, and I did not have to touch it.  I returned
>to the dressing room and just remarked that all was well.
>At the conclusion of the performance I was again called back, and RW
>thanked me for fixing that note, as it was driving him mad!!

Yup, that's Roger. He'll complain about all kinds of things, demand
al kinds of stuff  - and then thank you profusely (sometimes with a
bottle of good wine).

>I think nerves were a major contributing factor in this case, as he
>like me, was quite young and inexperienced.

Hmm... Age and experience have done little for the nerves...  But he
puts on one heck of a performance...

Israel Stein