Front lid extended during performance

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Jan 7 23:16:32 MST 2008

I'm not sure why this is such a big deal.  When you close the front part of
the lid while the lid is propped, the left hand side of the short lid
contacts the rim of the piano preventing it from hyperextending and
stressing the hinges.  In addition, the thickness of the lid itself means
that the underside of the front and rear part of the lid will be in contact
with each other when in the closed position also preventing hyperextension.
If the screws are of reasonable quality and they penetrate to a reasonable
depth, there shouldn't be any problem with this.  Normal expansion and
contraction of the wood will likely cause the screws to loosen up and
require periodic tightening no matter what.  More often than not, it's when
the periodic tightening is not done and the lid is opened and closed with
screws that are no longer solidly bedded that starts the ball to failure
rolling.   I don't see this particular practice of closing the front part of
the lid when propped putting any more stress on the hinge than the simple
act of opening and closing the lid in the normal manner.   If a problem
arises, it would likely have arisen no matter how the lid was opened and
closed and is most likely due to inadequate design or maintenance, not the
manner in which the lid is placed when propped.

Hanging or pulling on the lid (I assume you were being facetious) will, of
course, push the design beyond its limits and is not a fair test.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com