Pianos in the Deep Freeze

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Wed Jan 9 18:22:23 MST 2008

Will

I don't know what other advice I could give you other than what you have described, because everything you are worried about will come true. I am sure other piano techs will agree that putting a new piano in a church under the conditions you describe will be very harmful to the piano. I don't think even a complete climate control system AND a full cover over the piano will keep this piano in tune, much less keep it from suffering harm in just a few years.

If the church want to get a new grand piano, it has two options. One, spend the money to keep the temperature no lower than 55 or 60 degrees during the winter, and then also put a climate control unit AND a full cover over the piano. Second, build a heated insulated box in the sanctuary to keep the piano in.

Other than that, as much as I hate to say it, perhaps they should consider a good electronic keyboard of some sort. And even that should be put under cover.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Honolulu, HI