String termination question

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Jan 14 08:34:38 MST 2008

Like Ron said, termination of the bridge top and pin need not be exactly the
same, in fact, it's probably best to err on the side of having the notch cut
slightly behind the pin to prevent the edge from migrating out beyond the
pin over time as the bridge top indents underneath the string.  With the pin
angled at some 20 degrees the string will not ride up during its normal
vibration and create problems as you describe.  Bridge pins are necessary to
prevent lateral movement of the strings especially since the hitch pins are
not always in an exact straight line with the bridge notch.  With single
strings on a guitar, you don't have that problem.   The bearing angle
through the capo (or the pressure bar) lessens the need for pins on that end
except, such as in the bass on certain uprights, where the tuning pin
location creates an offset.  BTW, a lack of adequate counterbearing through
the capo can create problems with string migration side to side as you see
on some lesser uprights and grands, especially if the layout of the tuning
pin array doesn't quite match the needed spacing of the strings across the
capo.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com